Skip to content

Baasu Consultants


Australian permanent residents are residents of Australia who hold permanent residency visas but are not citizens of the Commonwealth of Australia. Holders of permanent residency visas may remain in Australia indefinitely. These visas last up to five years from the date of grant. Until the permanent resident visa expires, the visa holder may leave and re-enter Australia freely. Most permanent residents are eligible to become citizens after a waiting period. Permanent residents enjoy many of the rights and privileges of citizens, including access to free or subsidised legal and health services and education.

There are six different types of categories under which you can apply for skilled migration to Australia:
Skilled Independent Visa, Skilled Sponsored Migrate Visa, Skilled Independent Regional Visa, Skilled – Recognised Graduate (Temporary) visa, Family migration and Business migration.

Processing time largely depends on the type of visa and the application being lodged. The visa application for permanent residence visa in Australia 15 to 18 months to receive a decision on the visa application.  However in keeping with the recent trend in the global economic slowdown, we expect this duration may get extended for a further 6 months to 1 year.

You must move within one year from the date of your medical tests or police certificates, which occur during the processing of your Australian residence visa application. The exception is for temporary visas, such as work visas, in which case you may only have a number of months to enter the country.

Being a principal applicant you can include your family in the visa application. The family unit can include your spouse, dependent children and other dependents such as aged parents.

To apply for a Skilled-Independent category visa you, or your spouse, must be able to satisfy basic requirements:

-> You should be under 45 years of age

-> Sufficient English language ability for working in Australia

-> Post-secondary (such as university or trade) qualifications

-> Skills assessment by the relevant assessing authority

-> Your skills and qualifications as per SOL

-> Work experience

An application can be refused for number of reasons like does not meet one or more of the criteria or prerequisites of that particular visa, you or a member of your family does not meet health or medical requirements, false or incorrect answer(s) to the questions and you or a member of your family failed to meet Australian national security requirements. This list is not conclusive and there could be other reasons that could lead to refusal of your visa application.

For Skilled – Australian sponsored and Skilled Independent categories, you will be assessed against a points test. Points can be awarded for:

-> Skill

-> Age

-> English language ability

-> Specific work experience

-> Occupation in demand (and job offer)

-> Australian qualifications

-> Spouse skills

-> Relationship (for Skilled Australian sponsored only) and

-> Regional Australia – study and residence.

Points are awarded once the basic requirements have been satisfied. Bonus points can be awarded for only one of the following:

-> Capital investment

-> Australian Skilled work experience

-> Fluency in one of Australia’s major community languages, other than English.

In the points test, if you do not achieve the pass mark, the pool mark is the total number of points you must score if your application is to be held in reserve for up to 2 years after it has been assessed, in case a lower pass mark is set.

The SOL sets out skilled occupations for migration to Australia under the General Skilled Migration (GSM) visa categories and the number of points are awarded to each skilled occupation. In order to lodge a valid GSM application, you must nominate an occupation that is on the SOL when you apply.

You must have sufficient ability in the English language for working in Australia. This is known as ‘vocational English’.  A higher level of English is required for certain occupations, where English ability forms part of the skills assessment.

In order to apply for one of the Skilled Migrations Sponsored visas, you or your spouse must be related to the sponsor as:

-> A parent, or

-> A brother or sister or

-> A niece or nephew or

-> A first cousin or

-> A grandchild

Your sponsor is someone who is:

-> Living in Australia

-> An Australian citizen or permanent resident, and Is living in a designated area of Australia

Once your application is lodged with the Australian Department of Immigration & Citizenship the matter is very much in the hands of the case officer processing your application. We will endeavour to ensure that your application is presented in the best way.

No, Australia does not practice a discriminatory immigration policy. Anyone from any country can apply to migrate to Australia, regardless of his/her ethnic origin, gender, colour or religion.  Australia is truly a multicultural country accepting migrants from all corners of the world to contribute to the richness and well being of the country.

The Australian Government encourages all permanent residents to apply for citizenship as soon as they are eligible to apply. You may apply to become a citizen when you have accumulated a total of 4 years residence in Australia out of the last 5 years immediately before you submit your application.

In order to be eligible to extend your permanent residence visa for another 5 years you have to apply for a Resident Return Visa valid for 5 years. To qualify for the RRV you must have been physically resident in Australia for a total of 2 years in the 5 years immediately before lodging your application. Otherwise you must show evidence to the satisfaction of the Immigration Officer processing your application that you are a bona fide permanent resident of Australia with ties to Australia.

Yes. To apply for a SIR visa you must be able to nominate an occupation listed on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL) and be assessed as having the skills required to work in that occupation in Australia. For assessment please check Skill Assessment Kit

Some states will use their website to list employment vacancies in their state/territory and where these are located. Before you approach any state and territory authority about sponsorship, you must first have your skills assessed to confirm that you can work in your nominated occupation in Australia.

No. One of the aims of the program is to keep family units together in regional Australia. Unless there are exceptional circumstances, members of your family unit are required to live with you.

To meet the ‘work’ requirement to apply for PR, it is expected that the main SIR visa holder be employed on a full-time basis for at least 12 months. For the purposes of the SIR visa, full-time employment is normally for 35 hours a week. Any employment for less than 30 hours a week will not be regarded as full-time.

No. Employment may be with more than one employer provided that the total period of employment is at least 12 months.

No. Only employment and residence accumulated in regional Australia after you were granted your SIR visa is counted.

A second SIR visa may be granted if you have complied with the conditions of your visa. It should be noted that the regulations allow for one more SIR visa to be granted. The second SIR visa will be valid for 12 months ONLY.

Certain categories of visa applications require you to obtain a minimum total amount of points. Broadly speaking for a General Skilled Migration category of visa, you are required to obtain at least 120 points to qualify for migration to Australia.  If you are sponsored by an eligible Australian relative or Australian State or Territory Government, you must obtain at least 100 points to qualify for migration to Australia.

If you apply for migration to Australia under the Skilled-Australian Sponsored category or any of the Skilled-Independent categories, you will be assessed against the points test.

We at Baasu have dedicated migration experts and have professional arrangements with migration related authorities for constant updates regarding assessment. Our professional and systematic approach will increase the success rate of your application to a greater extent within much less processing time than other sources.

You can apply for your application on your own but the constantly changing rules, regulations and procedures make it more sensible to leave the very important paper work of your life in expert hands for only a very nominal professional fee. We have been involved with many cases in which applicants approach us at different stages of their self applications and ask us to carry over the process. It is purely due to the complications involved in the paper work of the process.

-> Comprehensive information on International lifestyles

-> Personalized counselling

-> Initial Assessment

-> Guidance for IELTS coaching

-> Process applications with the Assessing Authorities

-> Process visa applications

-> Communication with High Commissions on behalf of the applicants

-> Appointments with panel of doctors for medical examination

-> Air Travel Arrangement

-> Foreign exchange

-> Baggage advice

-> On arrival service

-> Guidance to find an accommodation

The self assessment kit (SAK) is a generic assessment tool and there are a number of parameters that will change or be interpreted differently on a case to case basis. Though the SAK will give you an overall probability of immigration based on your inputs, we strongly recommend you to contact our office and have a professional evaluation on your CV before you proceed further.

In many situations we have found that candidates use inappropriate inputs for the assessment. After our professional evaluation, we were able to identify the best suitable visa section for the candidates. We strongly recommend you to contact our office and have a professional evaluation on your CV before you drop the plan.